SpeakerNet News Teleseminars
Using Depth to Differentiate:
How to Set Yourself Apart
Through Insight and Substance
Ian Percy, CPAE
How to order the recording:
Additional resources for this seminar:
- Handout — (PDF format, 76K)
When someone comes up to you after your speech and says, “It’s always good to be reminded of the basics,” do you take that as a compliment? The brutal reality is that so many of us sound the same. If you see that someone is going to talk about teamwork or leadership or change — can’t you pretty well predict what will be said? So can your audience — and they are tired of it! One largely overlooked way to distinguish yourself from all other speakers in your field is to say things no one else is saying and to get people to think in ways they have not thought before. This program will show you specific exercises that will mine the rarest diamonds still buried in your tried and true material. Real examples from those participating will be used in this most unusual program.
You will learn:
- Just how similar we all sound and look and why depth of content can be your greatest differentiator
- Why so many speakers value style over content, while audiences increasingly value content over style
- Specific exercises to dramatically change current material
- How to dissect your own messages to uncover new truths
- How to anticipate the voice of the cynic toward your message and win them over
- How to break out of old and familiar routines and challenge yourself to new discoveries
- How to use your content in your marketing
About our guest expert:
Named “One of the Top 21 Speakers for the 21st Century” by Successful Meetings Magazine, Ian Percy has been speaking professionally since 1970. Ian is recognized world-wide as an insightful expert on leadership and the work environment, with a life-long commitment to helping organizations and individuals find meaning in life, work and leadership. He is a member of the Canadian Speaking Hall of Fame.
Ian is a registered psychologist, and his book on leadership, Going Deep, ranked fourth on the Books for Business bestseller list. His newest book, The 7 Secrets to a Life of Meaning, is helping people discover what they are truly meant to do with their lives. Ian is also a regular columnist on performance improvement for HumanCapital magazine.